KNOW ABOUT JAMB CAPS, ACCEPT YOUR ADMISSION NOW!!!
SCHOLARSHIP UK Mo Ibrahim Foundation Scholarships at the University of London
Applications are currently ongoing for the Mo Ibrahim Foundation University of London PhD Scholarships for African Students. Interested students should see the details below.
About University of London
The University of London is a collegiate and a federal research university located in London, England, The University was incorporated originally by royal charter in 1836 and is, at present, incorporated by royal charter granted in 1863. It is now governed by the University of London Act 1994 and by the Statutes made under it. The university currently consists of 18 constituent colleges, nine research institutes and a number of central bodies.
About Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF)
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF) is an African foundation, established in 2006 with one focus: the critical importance of governance and leadership in Africa. It is our belief that governance and leadership lie at the heart of any tangible and shared improvement in the quality of life of African citizens.
The Centre of African Studies at SOAS, University of London, is pleased to announce the extension of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative, funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, for another three years, until 2021. The focus of the project remains the same in terms of creating a dedicated environment to support the study of the socio-economic, political, and legal links between governance and development.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation has generously provided SOAS with two PhD scholarships every year for African students undertaking a full‐time PhD and Masters programme in the field of Governance for Development in Africa.
The Centre of African Studies, School of African Studies (SOAS) University of London offers 2 PhDs to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
When is the application deadline?
31st March 2019
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
University of London, UK
Fields of Study
The eligible PhD are only those within the following departments:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- Candidates must be domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country.
- Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub‐Saharan Africa.
What are the selection criteria?
Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- PhD: The scholarship is on a part‐present form and it provides for fees for three years. However, accommodation and living cost are covered for the first year only.
- The scholarship will also cover in total 2 return flights : one during the first year, and one for the viva (plus one week’s accommodation around the viva).
- In year 2 and year 3, the successful candidate will also receive an annual stipend of £5,000.
- We also cover visa cost, provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office.
- We expect students to be on fieldwork during the second year, and to write the thesis in the third year in their country of origin.
What is the duration of the scholarship?
How to Apply for the Mo Ibrahim Foundation Scholarships
Please note that CAS reserves the right not to award scholarships and will only award them where there are applicants judged to meet sufficiently high academic standards and with demonstrable interests in fields relevant to the objectives of the GDAI.
- In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School.
- Once the place is secured, the applicants can apply for the scholarship.
- The guidance notes and the reference form can be downloaded on the right hand side of the Program Webpage (See Link below).