SEE JAMB/INSTITUTIONS 2018 OFFICIAL CUT-OFF MARKS
How do I cram my notes before an examination? Is cramming a good technique? What is the easiest way to Cram a huge text or material?.
These questions always come to the mind of students during examination period. It could also be as a result of an impromptu test(short preparatory time).
Which method to use for a test or an examination between cramming and proper reading and understanding depends on various factors:
1. Type of test/ method of testing: A good example would be a Biochemistry test where a lecturer may ask the students to list and draw the structure of 20 carbohydrates. Not that it is impossible to learn all twenty, you will get more used to them by practicing over time.
In examination condition, the time to get used to all of them might be insufficient. So in this case, you should consider cramming.
2. The lecturer; All lecturers like intelligent students but some prefer those who give them words for words as they where thought. GIGO(GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT)
If that’s what he/she needs, why Not? Give it back to them, at least for the good grades. Cram it.!!!
3. The student in question:Thers no doubt that all students are gifted, and in various aspects too. Why some are good and okay with reading and assimilating, others are supernatural “crammers” so to speak.
As a student, you should be able to identify your greatest strength and weakness and how to exploit it.
4. Circumstances prior to the test.: Some students feel reading every day would be too boring. They are of the opinion that reading should begin a few week to the examination/test.
In this case, cramming becomes inevitable. If you’d like to salvage some extra points. Events such as illnesses, accidents and other unforseen happenings might warrant cramming.
5. A matter of choice.: Yeah. You may be considerably good at both. In this case, cramming only becomes a matter of choice. You might opt to combine both thorough reading and cramming. Although not easy, I feel it’s the best for most Nigerian institutions.
After the exam Tobi told me, “I will score 95” and indeed that was his score. That’s what happens when you use. 5. Above.
Okay, at this juncture, let’s do a run down on.
HOW TO CRAM AND PASS AN EXAMINATION EASILY
1. AT FIRST, take a quick skim of the text. While noting the important parts (possible examination questions)
2.Write down those key aspects you noted.
3.Now break them into even smaller bits.
4. Start by picking one bit, and read it out aloud but not too loud.
5. Progress by re reading it at a slower pace word for word while reducing your voice correspondingly to whispers.
6. Continue by memorizing in whispers.
7. Now, try reading, memorizing while your book is closed. (Off heart)
Keep on trying until you are able to repeat those words without looking at your notebook.
As always, the more you practice the easier it becomes.
Note. Use your punctuation marks as guide. As to what volume of text should be memorized at a go.
Never use cramming for an interview, as it builds up tension especially in the event of a loss of partial loss of a word or paragraph.
It also pertinent to note that. The ability to Cram reduces with age. Thus, children between the ages of 3-12 are better crammers than Adults.
SO WHICH do you prefer? CRAMMING? READING AND UNDERSTANDING? OR A MIXTURE OF BOTH?